Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"Broken Things to Mend"

My thoughts today come from the book "Broken Things to Mend" by Jeffrey R. Holland. Quotations come directly from his book. I also want to tie it in to the things I talked about yesterday.




This book was written "for those who feel their lives are broken, seemingly beyond repair." If we break the moral laws in severe enough degrees, we most likely will feel a great deal of despair, we may feel that there is no hope for us - that we are broken beyond repair, we may even feel that we deserve the darkness we now find ourselves in. It is not true. There is always hope.




It is my belief that the moral laws that govern all of us here on earth come from God. Therefore, it seems reasonable to suppose that the remedy for breaking these laws also comes from God.




He said, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." (Matthew 11:28-29)




(A yoke provides a distribution of weight between the two animals yoked together so that they can share in the burden. When we come to Christ, we take upon us His yoke, and he helps carry our burdens. He is even capable of carrying the entire load.)



The way to Christ is outlined in the following steps: (If you do not believe in Christ but want to find your way out of despair from breaking the moral laws that apply to all of us, these are still the steps to take).



Step 1: Have a desire

Step 2: Change anything you can change with yourself that may be part of the problem. (Repent.) Remember that you do not need to do this alone. Turn to those people who truly love you. Change is not easy, but it is possible.

Step 3: Begin doing those things which are right - obey the moral laws. Learn about Christ and His teachings.


"I testify that the Savior's Atonement lifts from us not only the burden of our sins but also the burden of our disappoinments and sorrows, our heartaches and our despair."


"Whatever your distress, please don't give up and please don't yield to fear."


"If you are lonely, please know you can find comfort. If you are discouraged, please know you can find hope. If you are poor in spirit, please know you can be strengthened. If you feel you are broken, please know you can be mended."



1 comment:

  1. An excellent article Annette. I wish I could share this with many of my friends who have made very difficult choices in thier lives.

    ReplyDelete