Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Predicting the Future

One of my most favorite books is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It is about a young shepherd boy named Santiago who is on a quest to follow his dream. At one point in the story he meets a seer and wishes to be told his future. The seer wisely told him:

"If good things are coming, they will be a pleasant surprise. If bad things are, and you know in advance, you will suffer greatly before they even occur."

I think the advice that followed was even more important:

"When people consult me, it's not that I'm reading the future; I am guessing at the future. The future belongs to God, and it is only He who reveals it, under extraordinary circumstance. How do I guess at the future? Based on the omens of the present. The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better. Forget about the future, and live each day according to the teachings, confident that God loves his children. Each day, in itself, brings with it an eternity."

This also reminds me of a song by Janice Kapp Perry:

THE WOMEN YOU’LL BE SOMEDAY….
I see an old woman rocking there.
The sun shining softly on her silver hair.
I wonder the secrets she holds deep inside,
Is she smiling or hiding a tear in her eye?
She watches our day as her story unfolds
For you see, she is you grown old.

And with every decision you make today,
You’re creating the woman you’ll be someday.
Just for now the old woman depends on you,
She waits and she watches
As you make her dream come true.
Be kind to the woman waiting there
For time passes swiftly and you must prepare,
Hold fasts to the values more precious than gold.
And you’ll bless the old woman who waits down the road.

She watches our day as her story unfolds,
For you see, She is you grown old
Only you can decide her eternal role.
Just for now the old woman depends on you
She waits and she watches
As you make her dreams come true.

Be watchful Young Woman, Chose well today.
Remember to live for the woman, You’ll be someday!

IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO CHANGE OUR FUTURE BY CHANGING OUR TODAY.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent work Annette. I really believe this. I go back when i was a troubled soul. I thought of only the future and never lived or enjoyed the moment. I now realize what a colassal waste of time that was. I "wasted" those precious moments that belonged to me and my family for the future of what? Oh what a waste.
    Living in the now has helped me propel my life for the better and paved the way for the future.

    Don Connelly had some advice on a segment I listened to the other day. He said " Write down the reasons you can't be succefull. List them all and number them in importance." Then he followed, " Then scratch out the word CAN"T and replace it with WON"T". This has helped me be better at what I do. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that insight! I am going to send that to my daughter....not that I can't use the same advice!

    ReplyDelete