Friday, August 21, 2009

Making Our Loads Lighter

Last night I had a dream that was very realistic (unusual for me!) and the message of the dream was actually part of it.

I dreamed that I was driving a big new pickup truck (okay, not very realistic!). The truck was pulling a fairly large trailer similar to a horse trailer. I arrived at a bridge and had to stop because the load I was carrying was too heavy. Whoever was in charge told me that I needed to get rid of things that really didn't matter. I pulled things from various nooks and crannies in the truck and tossed them over my shoulder.

Everytime I thought I was finished, the man would shake his head and tell me to remove more stuff. As I was removing all the junk from the truck, the thought went through my mind that this was an allegory to life:

Oftentimes we are carrying heavy loads in our lives. They might be spiritual loads for which we need to repent or forgive, or they might be physical loads due to having too much and we may need to simplify. Either way, there really is no reason to carry so much - it makes life difficult and we often suffer unnecessarily because of it.

3 comments:

  1. What a powerful message Annette.

    It never ceases to amaze me how much "Junk" we pick up and drag along with us in our lives. Even to the point of sometimes picking up the old bags and carrying them again.

    A few years ago I had the blessing to get rid of bags I carried for 36 years. The burden that that had created for me and my most dearest peopl in my life came almost to late. The great deciever and liar from the begging of all time fooled me into continuing in the pain of carrying those bags. I placed those bags on the desk of my loving and tender Bishop/friend and he turned them over to the savior for me, allowing me to heal from the wounds of so many years ago. He helped me to get help for the scars that carrying those bags had left on my soul. Funny thing is, I didn't even HAVE to carry them. My Savior was there all along waiting for permission from me to carry my burdens. The peace that came from that alone is worth everything to me.

    My beloved Bishop taught me, guided me, and placed me with a professional to help me forgive myself. It took a long while before I could feel my Saviors love. But, I did and so can those who will empty thir very own trailer of stuff, whatever it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good piece of advice is to distribute the loads more evenly to make them easier to carry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, I know you have more things to think about...keep on posting!!!!

    ReplyDelete